Sign in to follow this  
SanguinePar

McPake to be appointed [Courier report - NOW CONFIRMED ON COWS]

A good first interview. He accepts we are where we deserve to be and none of the usual guff about getting the club back to where we belong. His priority is to get us winning matches. If he can do that he’s the right man for the job.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Grant said:

A decent manager, complimented with the correct players makes the world of difference. 

We finished seventh in league one with Williamson, Martin, Falkingham, Geggan, Byrne, Moffat and Faiss. Bringing in some better players and coaching and managing them better had them absolutely scooshing league one the following season, not every player who looked bad last year is a write off. Don't forget that at the start of last season we believed some of these players were capable of helping us challenge for the league! 

Those players you mentioned had something about them. Yet to see that from the likes of breen, Chalmers, todorov etc that they would be good enough even in league one

9 minutes ago, kelty_par said:

Those players you mentioned had something about them. Yet to see that from the likes of breen, Chalmers, todorov etc that they would be good enough even in league one

Breen, Chalmers and Todorov have all previously been good in the Championship, we've seen that against us. 

Hindsight is doing allot of heavy lifting for you there, because after we finished seventh in league one you didn't have people claiming that so many starting players had something about them, they were getting absolute dogs abuse. 

We're in league one, in the same way that people talk about it being hard to attract decent managers that's doubly as applicable when it comes to players, however it might well be that we have players currently that can be good, if utilised correctly. 

6 minutes ago, Grant said:

Breen, Chalmers and Todorov have all previously been good in the Championship, we've seen that against us. 

Hindsight is doing allot of heavy lifting for you there, because after we finished seventh in league one you didn't have people claiming that so many starting players had something about them, they were getting absolute dogs abuse. 

We're in league one, in the same way that people talk about it being hard to attract decent managers that's doubly as applicable when it comes to players, however it might well be that we have players currently that can be good, if utilised correctly. 

Ayr fans couldn’t believe their luck when we paid a fee for Chalmers. A guy you’ve slagged off majority of his time here. Falkingham, geggan were great players for us and had shown plenty before one bad season. Inverness haven’t exactly missed todorov either. We’ll wait and see but who we’ve got signed up doesn’t fill me with confidence, hopefully Mcpake can get a tune out of them

12 minutes ago, kelty_par said:

Ayr fans couldn’t believe their luck when we paid a fee for Chalmers. A guy you’ve slagged off majority of his time here. Falkingham, geggan were great players for us and had shown plenty before one bad season. Inverness haven’t exactly missed todorov either. We’ll wait and see but who we’ve got signed up doesn’t fill me with confidence, hopefully Mcpake can get a tune out of them

Yep, I don't particularly rate Chalmers but he ain't going anywhere, he was previously a good player in the Championship, which is why Ross County who were in the Premiership, signed him. 

Todorov was Inverness top scorer, and the joint 2nd highest scorer in the Championship when we signed him, to say he has then shown nothing to suggest he'd even be good enough for league one is quite frankly, ludicrous. 

Falkingham and Geggan were good players for us, however they had shocking seasons. Falkingham was getting judged to be too small and lightweight for centre mid so was getting put out wide, because when him and Geggan played together in the middle we got overran, it seemed if we wanted to play a 442 we needed better centre mids. 

What we actually did was buy better wide midfielders, give them a more solid defence and watch Josh Falkingham absolutely b**ch Ryan Stevenson on the way to us winning the title. 

Last season was grim, full of players underperforming. But James McPake isn't going to sign a whole new squad, he's going to have to work with some of what he's got, if he's a good manager then it's absolutely plausible he can get a tune out of a few of them. 

Sounded like McPake was looking to bring his own coaching team this time. No mention of Greg Shields getting an automatic position within the coaching set-up this time.

13 minutes ago, Tartan Army Par said:

Sounded like McPake was looking to bring his own coaching team this time. No mention of Greg Shields getting an automatic position within the coaching set-up this time.

Noticed that too. A clean slate is required imo

A warm welcome to the club, James. Wishing you every success!

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Grant said:

every player who looked bad last year is a write off.

Agreed, I still think we have the core of a good side. Hopefully McPake is the one to get the best out of them. 

Although I posted the tweet higher up, I hadn't actually had a chance to watch the video. Finally watched it, and he comes across pretty well IMO, sounds realistic and grounded. He also managed to (mostly) avoid the cliched "this is a huge club, we should be in the top division" attitude we usually hear from new people.

I did laugh though when he kept correcting himself after referring to Dundee as "us" - I think that's just inexperience to be fair.

Didn't realise he had played with Wighton - hopefully that means CW will be back playing for us next term, as I still think he's a solid option up front, who might have made the difference when nobody else was scoring goals last year.

It's nice to have a manager that's likeable and a bit of a fresh face. Hopefully his performance as manager matches up to first impressions.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SanguinePar said:

I did laugh though when he kept correcting himself after referring to Dundee as "us" - I think that's just inexperience to be fair.

I did wonder why he was getting so hung up on that, it was 'we' at the time. If he'd said 'they' in the context of what he was talking about (his teams achievements and ethos etc) it wouldn't have made sense.  

He's obviously heard how crabbit Pars fans are 😂

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Digs said:

I did wonder why he was getting so hung up on that, it was 'we' at the time. If he'd said 'they' in the context of what he was talking about (his teams achievements and ethos etc) it wouldn't have made sense.  

He's obviously heard how crabbit Pars fans are 😂

Exactly what I though. Clearly walking on eggs shells