Sign in to follow this  
kelty_par

Team v Hamilton

A much needed win today. I thought we played well in the first half and created quite a few chances. Lawless always wants the ball, McCann never gave their defenders a minutes peace and Dow almost looked his old self. There was a great moment when Fon Williams came through a crowd a players to take a cross late on but the truth is that, while they got plenty of possession in the second half, Hamilton were toothless in attack.

Lots of good performances and great to see Lewis Martin for a cameo. Edwards man of the match, defended strongly and helped set up the goal with a great cross.

1 hour ago, Digs said:

Agree on Fon Williams. Made a great brave stop when the boy got injured at the post but he wouldn’t have had to make it if he’s come and claimed the ball in the first place. Connolly was going nuts at him for it. 
when he finally did come and claim one late on, Connolly shouted “About time!”

The problem is who do we get in to replace Connolly? A big voice at the back etc.

Maybe Ambrose will come in and  the wages for Wighton and Connolly will fund  that ?

Edited by Raymie
  • Upvote 1

Three points obviously most welcome but equally pleasing to read the players were up for the fight today. That’s been sorely lacking this season. More of that will be required if we’re to stay up. 

• Upvote 1

Many fans were struggling to understand why Yogi started with the same team as last week - apart from Connolly. Listening to his interview on Thursday, it's obvious there were some harsh words and a few home truths after the debacle at Cappielow.

Most fans thought he'd ring the changes today but by sending out almost the same team, he showed faith in these players and gave them the chance to atone for last week.

The players repaid him with a battling performance and 3 precious points. That's good man management, imo.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Raymie said:

Maybe Ambrose will come on and the wages for Wighton and Connolly will find that ?

I hope so as we need a big voice at the back. 

That was acceptable today, especially given the sh*te we've been through last few month and that horror show last week. Hopefully something to build on. 

3 hours ago, GG Riva said:

Many fans were struggling to understand why Yogi started with the same team as last week - apart from Connolly. Listening to his interview on Thursday, it's obvious there were some harsh words and a few home truths after the debacle at Cappielow.

Most fans thought he'd ring the changes today but by sending out almost the same team, he showed faith in these players and gave them the chance to atone for last week.

The players repaid him with a battling performance and 3 precious points. That's good man management, imo.

Fair play it is. Hats off he pulled that one out the hat. Next game is vital, as bad as we were that was night and day from what I heard. 

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed the game yesterday. Players were clearly right up for it and it was a performance full of grit, fight, spirit and determination.

Lawless had a great game yesterday and along with the return of Thomas will hopefully provide the creativity for the rest of the season.

I thought both fullbacks had their best games of the season. They were sound defensively but also got forward. Fantastic cross from Josh for the goal and the link up between Comrie and Lawless bodes well.

Dow, Todd and Allan had their best games of the season. Todd in particular caught the eye and that was easily his best game for us.

Connolly will be a huge miss but Donaldson looked far better yesterday.

Great to see the players reaction at FT. Even with just 556 fans in it was a good atmosphere at the end. I actually think the ultra negative away team tactic of switching round at kick off so we shoot into the Norrie first half backfired as the fans were willing the ball to stay out and reacting to every block, tackle etc.

All in all a good day.

• Upvote 3

Just watched the highlights very impressed, could have had a few. Some of OFW decision making with balls into the box leaves a lot to be desired, still think we should have kept Goodfellow with him coaching.

The young lads looked to have had their best game today. Still badly need midfielders and a finisher, McCann caused the defenders no ends of problems but he really should have done better with a couple of chances.

I wonder if O'Hara is the better option in a 433.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, GG Riva said:

While he played pretty much the same team, he set them up very differently which was far more important. 

Who would've thought that playing wide midfielders Lawless and Dow out wide would work? 

It was very similar to the formation that Liverpool use, I thought?  

The three midfielders essentially held their positions and provided the protection for the back four or at times, back two. Dow and Lawless would come inside allowing Comrie and Edwards to get forward and support. If I recall correctly, our best chances came from the full backs getting deep into Hamilton’s half ? Both had very good games and Edward’s cross that led to the goal was quality 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Grant said:

While he played pretty much the same team, he set them up very differently which was far more important. 

Who would've thought that playing wide midfielders Lawless and Dow out wide would work? 

D'you think we'd have won if Yogi had made 5 or 6 changes from last week, Grant? I don't. Those who were dropped would have felt they'd been made scapegoats and it would have created disharmony in the squad since there were no stars in Greenock. By playing virtually the same team, he gave them the chance to help make up for that disastrous result.

• Upvote 1

I’m not inside the management or the players heads but I don’t think anyone could complain if they had been dropped after the Morton game