Sign in to follow this  
PentlandPar

Dorrans

Not trying to defend this guy after the incident at the end of the Ayr game, but if a group of people shouted abuse at you or me close up, then it would be very difficult to keep your cool and not react, and by all accounts it was Dorrans, along with Grant, that was singled out.

However, having said that, I am really surprised that so far he has not issued some sort of apology through the club website.  Surely that would have been the sensible thing to do, he would have been respected for doing that, and we could have drawn a line under it and moved on.  

As things stand it sounds like the atmosphere on Saturday could be a bit toxic anyway, if, as expected, Grant is still here.  Not quite sure what reception Dorrans will get from our fans after last week if an apology is not forthcoming between now and Saturday.  

Remember when folk where wildly celebrating this signing and I informed this website he was actually pretty useless and had been for a number of years? I was abused for stating facts. 

Not sure what happened, wasn't there thankfully. 

What I would say is that I don't condone attacking anybody trying to do a job they're employed to do.

No matter how bad performances, results, decisions are why get personal with bile and venom. It makes no sense to me. 

As for Dorrans reaction if that happened (and I've had it on good authority he did react) then he should have been the better man.

However if you give it out you can reasonably expect to get something back.

No point in crying like a self entitled child in those type of circumstances. 

For the record I don't think he was worst player at Ayr. 

• Upvote 1

If I'm walking off a football pitch having just been pumped, again, knowing I probably haven't played well, again, thinking about what went wrong, and what I could have done better, and what position this now leaves me and my team in as the captain, and some banger starts screaming abuse personally directed at me, I'm going to react in exactly the same way Dorrans did. 100% of the time

Was he right to do so? In regards to whether it was prudent for him personally or his team mates, probably not. However, I defy anyone under those circumstances to not react. 

I said exactly the same during the whole 'zippy gate' thing with Burchill, if you're big enough to scream abuse at someone just trying to do their job, then you're big enough to take it back. If you aren't then perhaps football isn't the game for you, and you need to go and dry your eyes. Paying to get through a gate doesn't give you the right to behave like an ****hole with impunity. 

• Upvote 5

I assume Grant signed him based on the West Brom connection and not the evidence available from his time at Dundee.

17 hours ago, Digs said:

If I'm walking off a football pitch having just been pumped, again, knowing I probably haven't played well, again, thinking about what went wrong, and what I could have done better, and what position this now leaves me and my team in as the captain, and some banger starts screaming abuse personally directed at me, I'm going to react in exactly the same way Dorrans did. 100% of the time

Was he right to do so? In regards to whether it was prudent for him personally or his team mates, probably not. However, I defy anyone under those circumstances to not react. 

I said exactly the same during the whole 'zippy gate' thing with Burchill, if you're big enough to scream abuse at someone just trying to do their job, then you're big enough to take it back. If you aren't then perhaps football isn't the game for you, and you need to go and dry your eyes. Paying to get through a gate doesn't give you the right to behave like an ****hole with impunity. 

This.  I was there at the end at the corner of the terracing watching it.  Basically the players had to walk within 2 feet of some of the fans who were bent over the barriers screaming abuse in their faces.  When Dorrans came in the volume went up a wee bit and one fan in particular was almost within touching distance.  Something obviously quite personal was said and Dorrans said to him (only him) “f*** off”. That was all I saw.  Fan got off lucky I think considering.  If they were face 2 face in the street doubt he’s that brave.

Dorrans has been woeful for us, but one thing for him, he keeps trying, making self available.  He makes mistakes, he’s doing that classic player from a previous high level thing of expecting much more from those about him.   He may not work out for us, but he is by far the least of our problems I think.

Edited by Rossmcno1
Typo edit
  • Upvote 2