Sign in to follow this  
Keyser Soze

It’s coming home…

Chuffed for our English brothers and sisters. Massive test on Sunday but with 90% of the crowd behind them it will definitely give England a huge boost. 

• Downvote 2

Whilst I am sure the majority of right thinking people will agree with you, I am from Italian stock on my mother's side so they will be getting my support on Sunday.  The Tuscan blood is just too strong for me to be able to cheer on our friends from down south.

I'll be hoping Italy win. They've been awesome to watch at times during this tournament.

That said I wouldn't be losing sleep over our English neighbours winning it, and they're capable of doing that. 

Think it'll be low scoring and will go to extra time. 

I’m conflicted.  Not going to lie.  Have a lot of English pals and I want them to enjoy it but at the same time know I’ll never hear the end of it.  That I can cope with easy enough.  Problem is the English media….oh my Lord talk about making folk wanting them to lose.  Arrogance personified.

to that end I’d really like Italy to have a cheeky wee dive in the last minute for a soul crushing penalty goal defeat.   😉

• Upvote 2

Think the Italian's will have picked up on their weakest link. 

The goalie. 2 - 0 italia 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

Not much love for our neighbours on here. Shocked to my very core. 

A ken neebur, shocking 

16 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Whilst I am sure the majority of right thinking people will agree with you, I am from Italian stock on my mother's side so they will be getting my support on Sunday.  The Tuscan blood is just too strong for me to be able to cheer on our friends from down south.

Unlike you, DA-go, I'm the Real McCoy - born in Italy of Italian parents and lived there until aged 7, before emigrating with my family to God's ain wee country for economic reasons. I can therefore claim that my leanings towards the Azzurri are not fuelled by any antipathy towards our Anglo-Saxon brothers in the South, but that may not stand up to closer scrutiny.

I'm not optimistic that Italy will be able to bring any joy to its burgeoning Scottish fanbase on Sunday evening. Home advantage is massive and on top of that, England have some fabulous players in the squad who have spent much of the tournament on the bench. Imagine being able to bring on the likes of Foden, Mount and Grealish when your opponents are tiring..... 

Italy's bench is much shorter in quality but they do enjoy a fantastic, almost club-like team spirit, which might carry them over the line if they score the first goal. A pity they lost Spinazzola with that Achilles injury - he carried most of the Azzurri's attacking threat. I wouldn't bet on Italy getting a penalty during the game, either. In spite of their notorious, stereotypical reputation, none of the current Italy squad (Immobile included) are in the same diving league as Kane and Sterling. 

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

Unlike you, DA-go, I'm the Real McCoy - born in Italy of Italian parents and lived there until aged 7, before emigrating with my family to God's ain wee country for economic reasons. I can therefore claim that my leanings towards the Azzurri are not fuelled by any antipathy towards our Anglo-Saxon brothers in the South, but that may not stand up to closer scrutiny.

I'm not optimistic that Italy will be able to bring any joy to its burgeoning Scottish fanbase on Sunday evening. Home advantage is massive and on top of that, England have some fabulous players in the squad who have spent much of the tournament on the bench. Imagine being able to bring on the likes of Foden, Mount and Grealish when your opponents are tiring..... 

Italy's bench is much shorter in quality but they do enjoy a fantastic, almost club-like team spirit, which might carry them over the line if they score the first goal. A pity they lost Spinazzola with that Achilles injury - he carried most of the Azzurri's attacking threat. I wouldn't bet on Italy getting a penalty during the game, either. In spite of their notorious, stereotypical reputation, none of the current Italy squad (Immobile included) are in the same diving league as Kane and Sterling. 

Good post GG, and I never knew you were Italian *cough*😊

There's something almost ironic about the point about English players more likely to dive than the Italians given 30 year ago or so it may have been the other way round. 

I like the togetherness of the Italians. They've also looked a proper tight unit in some of the games. I'm confident they have a real chance. 

57 minutes ago, Piracy said:

Good post GG, and I never knew you were Italian *cough*😊

There's something almost ironic about the point about English players more likely to dive than the Italians given 30 year ago or so it may have been the other way round. 

I like the togetherness of the Italians. They've also looked a proper tight unit in some of the games. I'm confident they have a real chance. 

Aye, some English footballers have learned the lessons from their Latin teachers in Europe and S. America really well, Dougie. Further irony is that Ciro Immobile has been getting ripped mercilessly by the rest of the squad after that ridiculous dive v Belgium. 😄

• Upvote 1

I think this will be a game too far for Italy, they looked dead on their feet in ET last round. AS GG says, the quality on the English bench is awesome and game changing, I thought when Italy brought on their subs last time out they looked very ordinary. England to win in Extra Time  1-0. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GG Riva said:

I'd like to dispute that I'm not the Real McCoy.  I'm from an Italian family, they just happened to leave for Scotland a few years prior to yours.  My gran did once sing for Mussolini though...