Sign in to follow this  
GG Riva

Worst Premiership Transfers

Although it is the Daily Mail and probably just one guy's opinion, I think this is a decent discussion topic:-

https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/worst-transfers-premier-league-history-6caad174a33f48e2?utm_campaign=transferspremier-07943f0602994d29&utm_source=tab&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=dailymail-uk

A quick scan reveals that 22 clubs are mentioned, but Man U and Liverpool are well out in front with 10 and 9 nominations, respectively. Chelsea a distant 3rd with 5 candidates, so that these 3 clubs account for almost half of the total. I wonder why that is? Perhaps it's because these clubs have higher expectations, so a player who may have been regarded as decent at another club was deemed a failure at these clubs? Another thing I find annoying is the way lazy journalists in England only go back to 1992, as if football didn't exist before then.

I wonder if any players would have made the Top 50 if Scotland had been included? I have one outstanding candidate, but I'll keep my powder dry for the moment. 🙂

You are right about lazy journalism in the sense that they all blindly regurgitate the Premiership year zero approach and disregard all history before that. 

I see that Michael Owen is classed as a failure despite scoring 30 goals in 79 games for Newcastle. Not the worst strike rate.

Had they went back before 1992, Kozma would have inevitably been mentioned. He has cropped up on a few of these lists.

I think in Owen's case, they judged him by the high standards he set at Liverpool and to a lesser extent, Real. 

With Kozma, it didn't work out for him at Anfield, for whatever reason. He was never the most consistent or hardworking player I've ever seen, but when the mood took him, he was simply sublime. In almost 60 years of following the Pars, I think I'd rate him up there with Alex Edwards, in terms of skill, but he could and should have given so much more.

Off topic i always thought kozma's issue was playing wide. His better games were always in the middle. 

Our memories fade but also we can lose detail over time. Often remembering the more pleasant stuff. 

For methough I can actually mind sitting thinking how frustratingly mundane a lot of Kozmas play and contribtibutions were in a large number of Pars games. 

I genuinely thought at the time, that O''Boyle had been the more effective signing regarding those 2 transfers. 

• Upvote 1

Kozma looked decent up against poor quality opposition and totally flopped against reasonable opposition. Always found it odd that Dunfermline fans get all misty eyed over him. Strange bunch. 

• Upvote 1

Kozma never turned up enough for most of the games I saw him in. Was he worth the fee we paid for his services? If only he'd turned up for the Skol Cup Final, then he might have deserved legend status. Preffered OBoyle, who I think was value for money. Sure I read, Alex Ferguson worst signing was Ralph Milne. Was a cracking player. Shame how it turned out for him. 

19 hours ago, scottyboy said:

Kozma never turned up enough for most of the games I saw him in. Was he worth the fee we paid for his services? If only he'd turned up for the Skol Cup Final, then he might have deserved legend status. Preffered OBoyle, who I think was value for money. Sure I read, Alex Ferguson worst signing was Ralph Milne. Was a cracking player. Shame how it turned out for him. 

Ralph Milne was rapid quick. I thought he'd have went further than he actually did.