Sign in to follow this  
GG Riva

Goalkeeper Situation

Like most folk on here, I think the Pars have made some cracking signings recently. One position which hasn't been addressed is goalkeeper. Last season we used three; Scully, Gill and Williams. Cammy is the only one still at EEP. He's 22 now and has been at the Pars since he was 8, but has only  11 1st team games.

Imo, the manager either gives him an extended run (until January?) to show he's good enough to be our No. 1 or sends him out on loan to a lower league team and brings in a more experienced keeper.  The last thing Gill needs is another season as a back up. 

He's not going to get any better sitting in the dugout, is he?

A great goalkeeper will win you points, so probably need a decent one. Alternatively give Gill more game time, to give him the chance to make it his own. Finances will probably dictate if we can afford an experienced no 1

I would loan him out for season see how he holds up. Did ok with us but think he needs a good run in a team.

I would prefer another keeper in the 1st team for now.  

On 21/07/2020 at 15:31, Al k said:

I would loan him out for season see how he holds up. Did ok with us but think he needs a good run in a team.

I would prefer another keeper in the 1st team for now.  

Should SC try and bring in Owain Fon Williams on a permanent deal as our No. 1? He is more experienced than Gill and has a greater physical presence, but is he a better keeper?

Part of our last seasons difficulties was the inconsistency of the keepers, Gill unfortunately was part of that. Had he continued I think his form would have put additional unnecessary pressure on himself and instead of going forwards I think he would have gone backwards. Craw was right to bring in Williams last season. I don't think Gill was ready at that time, but the poor form of Scully forced Craws hand. For this season I think Gills development means he needs regular games but I think he should be doing it on loan and come back to us stronger. He has the potential to be a great keeper but needs to be carefully developed first.

3 hours ago, GG Riva said:

Should SC try and bring in Owain Fon Williams on a permanent deal as our No. 1? He is more experienced than Gill and has a greater physical presence, but is he a better keeper?

I think Gill looks a good keeper. A full season ideally elsewhere where could get a some game under his belt. 

I hadn't saw much of OFW to think he's better, I haven't convinced by some of Gill's positioning. Gill had a great game against Ayr but he knows he let himself down against Dundee united. 

I worry the fans expect promotion this season and he might be a scrape goat if he makes a few mistakes. 

Edited by Al k
repeating the same line

13 hours ago, Al k said:

I think Gill looks a good keeper. A full season ideally elsewhere where could get a some game under his belt. 

I hadn't saw much of OFW to think he's better, I haven't convinced by some of Gill's positioning. Gill had a great game against Ayr but he knows he let himself down against Dundee united. 

I worry the fans expect promotion this season and he might be a scrape goat if he makes a few mistakes. 

Gill could be a good keeper for us, but he needs a continuous run of games to give him confidence and experience. I don't think he's had more than 4 or 5 consecutive starts in his 11 appearances to date. He said to me that he was at fault for both goals v Dundee United and deserved to be dropped, so he doesn't have any illusions about his ability. Bringing in Williams and keeping Gill as a back up will really set his confidence back I think, as it will tell him the manager doesn't think he's good enough to be our 1st choice. 

I hope he gets his chance and grabs it. It's amazing what a couple of shut outs could do for his confidence.

9 hours ago, GG Riva said:

Gill could be a good keeper for us, but he needs a continuous run of games to give him confidence and experience. I don't think he's had more than 4 or 5 consecutive starts in his 11 appearances to date. He said to me that he was at fault for both goals v Dundee United and deserved to be dropped, so he doesn't have any illusions about his ability. Bringing in Williams and keeping Gill as a back up will really set his confidence back I think, as it will tell him the manager doesn't think he's good enough to be our 1st choice. 

I hope he gets his chance and grabs it. It's amazing what a couple of shut outs could do for his confidence.

I wouldn't want us to get rid i think he has plenty potential and had more positive than negatives for us, a season on loan or bring someone with experience to coach him and be a back-up.

• Upvote 1

I would like to see him get a chance, but the cut throat nature of the league makes it difficult - a team can be looking at the promotion  play offs one week, then nervously looking towards the relegation ones the next.

Saying that, given the price range that the Pars are shopping in, how many absolutely rock solid keepers are available?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Teuchter said:

I would like to see him get a chance, but the cut throat nature of the league makes it difficult - a team can be looking at the promotion  play offs one week, then nervously looking towards the relegation ones the next.

Saying that, given the price range that the Pars are shopping in, how many absolutely rock solid keepers are available?

Think you got that spot on Teuchter so I ran a quick algorithm and in Scotland we have 3.4 keepers, U.K. 56.0, all Europe 298.4 and all world 1,236.7. Hope that helps. 

• Upvote 1

It's been heavily touted that we are close to signing Owain Fon Williams on a permanent deal following his loan from last season. I would be happy with that

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Superally said:

It's been heavily touted that we are close to signing Owain Fon Williams on a permanent deal following his loan from last season. I would be happy with that

This would be good news, both for our goalkeeping situation and the chances of getting a permanent exhibition of his work in Charlie D's 🙂

• Upvote 3