Sign in to follow this  
JmSG

Ex-Player.

Good morning everyone, my cordial greetings, I'm new to this forum, and I'm looking for information on a former player of the club, this is Mark Smith, signed in 1987 from Celtic, played in the pars until 1989, if my information is correct he played 52 games and scored 6 goals in league, and was it a winger, does anyone remember it? .. Was right-winger or left-winger ?, I'm not looking for personal information, only sports.

8 minutes ago, JmSG said:

Good morning everyone, my cordial greetings, I'm new to this forum, and I'm looking for information on a former player of the club, this is Mark Smith, signed in 1987 from Celtic, played in the pars until 1989, if my information is correct he played 52 games and scored 6 goals in league, and was it a winger, does anyone remember it? .. Was right-winger or left-winger ?, I'm not looking for personal information, only sports.

Mark Smith scored "that goal" against Rangers at East End. Was it meant or was it a cross?, I think it's a cross. That came from the right wing. 

My wife a crush on him. Found her chatting him up in Lorenzos one night when we were winching 😂

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Piracy said:

Mark Smith scored "that goal" against Rangers at East End. Was it meant or was it a cross?, I think it's a cross. That came from the right wing. 

My wife a crush on him. Found her chatting him up in Lorenzos one night when we were winching 😂

So, would it be a right-winger?.

1 hour ago, JmSG said:

So, would it be a right-winger?.

I think so.

He got by players with relative ease but he was a bit too easy dipossesed at times. 

I was right down at the front in the terracing when he hit the “cross” sailing over Chris Woods head.

He was a right winger, very fast but not good defensively. 

I wish those days would come back to EEP

• Upvote 1

Mark Smith was fast enough to win the footballers Powderhall sprint, I reckon, but he rarely put his blistering pace to good use during a game. He was most effective when diagonal balls were knocked behind opposing defenders for him to run on to, but often as not, he'd leave the ball behind, due to a poor first touch. I do remember Smith and Willie Callaghan Jnr. ripping the Dundee defence to shreds in a 6-1 at EEP. We still managed to get relegated that season. 

Amazingly, Brian Clough reportedly paid us £100k to take him to Forest, but he didn't make the most of his time there.

• Upvote 1

Thank you very much for the answers, What could you tell me about Davie Irons seems to have played as a defensive midfielder and also as a central defender, is that correct?.

Edited by JmSG

I always remember him in the defensive midfield role. I’m sure he made over 100 appearances for the pars.

40 minutes ago, Secure Par said:

I always remember him in the defensive midfield role. I’m sure he made over 100 appearances for the pars.

according to the information i found, 106 games and 9 goals, and as a defensive midfielder or central defender, but I don't know if it is correct.

Greetings, I wanted to ask about another former player of the club, John Holt, who played for many years in Dundee Utd. where he was mainly used as a right back although he was a utility player, do you remember in which positions he played for Dunfermline Athletic ?.

John Holt played mainly as the sweeper in central defence for the Pars. A very good, intelligent player with good awareness and positional sense. I think he has a league winners from his time at Tannadice.