Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GG Riva

"Football without fans is nothing..."

Recommended Posts

I got my first fix of MOTD since the lockdown last night and the surreal, computer generated "atmosphere" got me thinking that Jock Stein's famous quote wasn't a million miles off the mark. Even Linekar and Co were struggling with it, although the commentators were quite good in the circumstances.

I don't think it matters too much if you're playing the game at a modest level, as the players generate their own atmosphere, but watching a game with no fans, especially on TV, is no substitute for the real thing. Even watching a game live, is much more enjoyable when you're in the middle of a noisy crowd, in a full or almost full stadium.

Here's hoping they can open the turnstiles again as soon as it's safe. Reducing physical distancing to 1m and opening all 4 stands would allow about 3,000 into EEP, I think, although a lot of organisation would be needed before and after the game, as well as the use of toilets.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a bit weird with the fake crowd noise, but I actually think it's surprisingly ok, and certainly better than hearing the yells in an empty stadium as we saw in the early German games.

No substitute for the real thing of course, and I can't wait until real fans can get back to the stadium. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The crowd noise is off sync, especially when a goal is scored.  But it hasnt been too bad. 

From an educational view, I think its interesting to see how players and coaches interact.  Without the sweary words, its good for youngsters to see.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a normal situation. I watched part of a German game the other week. Like a training game. Huge turn off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're all familiar with the concept of home advantage and the various explanations for the phenomenon - the crowd acting as a "12th man, the home team obliged to adopt a more positive approach in front of its own fans, referees influenced by the crowd giving the home team more decisions, familiarity of surroundings, etc. all contributing to the overall stats which show that the ratio of home to away wins is 3:2.

After the Villa - Chelsea game on MOTD2 last night, Gabby Logan commented that Villa had only gathered 1pt from their last two home games and wondered whether this might be down to a loss of "home advantage" due to playing behind closed doors. Of course two games is hardly enough to draw any valid conclusions and Villa are near the foot of the Premiership precisely because they've struggled to win games - home or away - all season.

There are games currently being played behind closed doors in Europe's four major leagues right now and It will be really interesting to see if the 3:2 ratio holds up when they've been completed. My guess is that home advantage will not disappear completely, but it will be eroded. Maybe OPTA or a similar organisation will compile the stats?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

We're all familiar with the concept of home advantage and the various explanations for the phenomenon - the crowd acting as a "12th man, the home team obliged to adopt a more positive approach in front of its own fans, referees influenced by the crowd giving the home team more decisions, familiarity of surroundings, etc. all contributing to the overall stats which show that the ratio of home to away wins is 3:2.

After the Villa - Chelsea game on MOTD2 last night, Gabby Logan commented that Villa had only gathered 1pt from their last two home games and wondered whether this might be down to a loss of "home advantage" due to playing behind closed doors. Of course two games is hardly enough to draw any valid conclusions and Villa are near the foot of the Premiership precisely because they've struggled to win games - home or away - all season.

There are games currently being played behind closed doors in Europe's four major leagues right now and It will be really interesting to see if the 3:2 ratio holds up when they've been completed. My guess is that home advantage will not disappear completely, but it will be eroded. Maybe OPTA or a similar organisation will compile the stats?

During an English game yesterday, I think they said that in Germany home teams were only winning about 51% of matches since lockdown, much less than usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SanguinePar said:

During an English game yesterday, I think they said that in Germany home teams were only winning about 51% of matches since lockdown, much less than usual.

That's interesting, SP,  but I'm sure you're well aware that the number of games played so far is far too small to have any validity. Hopefully, they'll lump together every post Covid-19 game from England, Germany, Italy and Spain's top flights as this is, God willing, a unique opportunity to assess this curiosity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GG Riva said:

That's interesting, SP,  but I'm sure you're well aware that the number of games played so far is far too small to have any validity. Hopefully, they'll lump together every post Covid-19 game from England, Germany, Italy and Spain's top flights as this is, God willing, a unique opportunity to assess this curiosity. 

Its a small number of games but thats a significant change in the odds.  I expect that when crowds return youll see that %age change back in favour of home teams fairly rapidly.  

Edited by Vinnie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GG Riva said:

That's interesting, SP,  but I'm sure you're well aware that the number of games played so far is far too small to have any validity. Hopefully, they'll lump together every post Covid-19 game from England, Germany, Italy and Spain's top flights as this is, God willing, a unique opportunity to assess this curiosity. 

True, it's not definitive, but I guess you can only work with the numbers available so far. I agree a wider (and weighted) study would be interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Its a small number of games but thats a significant change in the odds.  I expect that when crowds return youll see that %age change back in favour of home teams fairly rapidly.  

Any apparent change cannot be significant when the sample is so small, Vinnie. It could so easily be down to a few of the top clubs having played an extra home game during this period. I do agree that it will be "as you were" when the crowds return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×