Buffy

17 Players Released

https://dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=Player_Update_&ID=11927

Due to the current conditions the club has had no other option but to release the following players ☹️ 

Out of contract: 
Lee Ashcroft, Tom Beadling, Danny Devine, Paul Paton, Ryan Scully, Joe Thomson, Andy Ryan, Callum Smith, Stuart Morrison, Gregor Jordan, Scott Cusick, Cammy Graham, Lewis Sawers, Josh Robertson, Lewis Crosbie, Craig Burt and Paul Brown.

Edited by Buffy

Difficult times for out of contact player's at many clubs. I do hope things work out for them as there is a good few you would want to hold onto. Hopefully when we get next season sorted out we can see some play in black & white again. COYP. 

I think this will be the case for a lot of other clubs just now. Coronavirus has affected us all. 

I think this will happen at most clubs this summer.  Possible league reconstruction, no season start date, potentially games without fans. 

So much is up in the air that this really shouldnt come as a surprise? 

It's a shame, but even if CV19 had never been a factor, I reckon the majority of the players announced would have been released anyway.

Few clubs will be in a position to be signing players in these current uncertain times.

Should have been put on rolling contracts and furlough payment continued with players only getting the 80% covered by the government. 

Patrick and Rovers are doing the above until end of furlough scheme from what I've heard 

My understanding is we could’ve extended their contracts to end of June but anything beyond that would need to be until the January transfer window. Given there’s no guarantee the furlough system will still be in place by January and we have no idea when any new season will start the club had little option.

The only thing I’m surprised about is we didn’t take up the option to extend their contract till June and immediately furlough them. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can explain why that wasn’t feasible?

Guest The Beer Baron

Seems we're getting a load of grief about it and Paton has been public in his thoughts somehow.

I don't know enough about the furlough scheme to comment to a high degree. Can anyone clearly explain if we could have kept them on via that beyond June, without risking a contract extension until Jan21?

44 minutes ago, The Beer Baron said:

Seems we're getting a load of grief about it and Paton has been public in his thoughts somehow.

I don't know enough about the furlough scheme to comment to a high degree. Can anyone clearly explain if we could have kept them on via that beyond June, without risking a contract extension until Jan21?

I don’t think so. Why didn’t we offer them another month though? without topping the extra 20% that would cost the club nothing and I’m sure the players would’ve appreciated it. I actually think that’s pretty despicable from the club. They should clarify why they chose not to go down this route.

Guest The Beer Baron
3 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

I don’t think so. Why didn’t we offer them another month though? without topping the extra 20% that would cost the club nothing and I’m sure the players would’ve appreciated it. I actually think that’s pretty despicable from the club. They should clarify why they chose not to go down this route.

It would be helpful to have clarification on the matter, particularly when other clubs such as Ayr have given extensions apparently.

We're supposed to be a community club, it's written into our mission statement or something. Obviously the existence of the club is paramount but this all feels a bit wrong.

1 hour ago, The Beer Baron said:

It has been agreed by SFA that players can be kept on monthly contract extensions. The SPFL Board also advised clubs they can do this

Cant see any of the released players wanting to sign for us again once this is over. 

15 minutes ago, the saline hill puma said:

It has been agreed by SFA that players can be kept on monthly contract extensions. The SPFL Board also advised clubs they can do this

Cant see any of the released players wanting to sign for us again once this is over. 

I wasn’t aware of this? Beyond June? Can you send me a link to this?