Sign in to follow this  
Buffy

No SPFL league reconstruction ~ yet

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Not really.  I suspect that for 90% of those guys football is not their main source of income.  They arent professional footballers.          

Yes they are. Just because they have two sources of income doesn't mean they aren't professional at both. Beer Baron is right, they are part time, but they are not amateur.

Also, spot on @DA-go Par Adonis. Dundee really are a bunch of c**the, aren't they?

I know guys that used to get paid to play Saturday amateur.  I know it might only be enough to cover their expenses, but I dont think they would call themselves pros despite getting paid.

I used to do takeaway deliveries to supplement my main wages.  I think it would be a stretch to call myself a chauffeur. 

Edited by Vinnie
  • Downvote 1

In terms of reconstruction I wouldnt mind saving partick. I like going there for a few jars before a game and empathise they have been relegated in a pretty competitive league. I would be happy enough going 14 -14 in the lower leagues(non-premiership) permenantly as part of the proposal and then a 16 team after 2 years if the top league decide to vote two down. Albeit they really shouldn't, but we know how things work in Scottish football. Also it annoys me that ict will get something out of it with that chief exec at the helm

Hearts statements have been ****ing terrible and budges PR is brutal to the point the sensible hearts fans I know think shes cocked up the whole thing and ruined any common good will.

Edit - everything depends on when /what clubs might actually be able to play

Edited by Fifes Elite

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I know guys that used to get paid to play Saturday amateur.  I know it might only be enough to cover their expenses, but I dont think they would call themselves pros despite getting paid.

I used to do takeaway deliveries to supplement my main wages.  I think it would be a stretch to call myself a chauffeur. 

Professional is just a word until you put some sort of criteria down.

And at the end of the day removing the word from the spfl will change nothing.

Edited by Fifes Elite

In honesty we should be thinking about how we will get into the group of teams that will play. Because that's how any structure is going to be based.

Edited by Fifes Elite

12 hours ago, Vinnie said:

The guys you know playing Saturday amateur are amateur players, as the contract/registration forms they've signed would stipulate, and any money they receive is to cover expenses, otherwise they're breaking the rules of their amateur registration.

I wouldn't class that as being a chauffeur either. However, If you were driving someone around and getting paid for it, no mater how little you're a chauffeur.

Looks like its heading for a no vote. So hearts will go for legal action. I'm not sure it has legs as it stands just now though but time will tell.

However something else has got me thinking in the possible scenario some clubs in the championship want to play games and some don't. We will use hearts as an example and the other clubs vote to mothball the league. If this is taken court  I think court would decide hearts had been treated unfairly as a business. By not allowing them to trade the spfl would be in breach of competition rules as an organisation. By allowing some member clubs to trade (the premiership) but not others if they wanted would definitely breach the law I reckon. It would be the same for any business in the same situation. Allowing industry peers to decide if you can trade or not wont be tolerated by the courts. On the back of that I would say the court would force the spfl to come to a resolution acceptable to the court which would mean allowing clubs that want to play to play. I think it would also blow the voting structure of the spfl out the water and show clear conflicts of interest.