Sign in to follow this  
Yorkie

When will we be allowed back inside a ground ?

Here is a thought.... 

Could the SPFL use the enforced break to potentially move to summer football?  Would there be an appetite at clubs (fans seem to have mixed opinions) to move to summer football as part of the restructure and overhaul of the Leagues? 

To answer the OP's question in the thread title, (Where is the question mark, Yorkie?) how long is apiece of string?

Not really an answer, I know, but there are so many unknowns, it's an impossible question to answer. Much will depend on the progress of this damned virus. It may disappear as suddenly as it appeared, or it may continue for years to come. Who knows? An effective vaccine may be found which can be mass produced fairly cheaply and a mass vaccination programme carried out. Best estimates for that are around a year. That would make next season a write off.

No point in looking at what the EPL is doing. That is driven by money which is simply not available to the Scottish game, so what happens in England is not relevant to us - besides Nicola Sturgeon appears to be rather more cautious than our gung-ho, superhero PM, who is keen to get the ball rolling again, now that his popularity has soared after his ''near death'' experience in hospital.

I fully expected him to reappear with his underpants on over the top of his trousers........... 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

No point in looking at what the EPL is doing. That is driven by money which is simply not available to the Scottish game, so what happens in England is not relevant to us 

I think that makes it more relevant to Scotland.  Most of our clubs are in dire financial condition, with very little cash reserves, and probably not credit worthy.  Even these small business loans with their year free and minimal interest payments are going to be hard to repay.   Id suggest that our clubs will need to be back as soon as possible.  They may need to think of inventive ways to raise revenues, but they will likely look at what happens down south and apply a strategy accordingly.  

Of course, the SPFL and their restructuring plan might curtail plans for a while, unless a crudely formulated plan is pushed through quickly.

• Downvote 1

Aye let’s take the players off Furlough and pay them from the non existent crowds. Absolute madness. Will end every lower league side and most top flight sides. 

• Downvote 1

I didnt say I thought it was a good idea to rush football back, and I didnt mention anything about playing behind closed doors. However, even with clubs placing players on furlough, many will struggle to cover overheads, and that in turn might lead our clubs to want a return to action sooner rather than later, and that they will watch developments in England closely.  

Is it possible for example, that while there is no football the club shows "as live" re-runs of significant matches?  ParsTV might have coverage, that can be bought via the club site?  It may only be a few quid per game, but its revenue.  Some of the coverage may only be highlights reels, charge slightly less?  There may be a few obstacles such as copyright issues, but is it worth investigating?  Has it been investigated?  

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I think that makes it more relevant to Scotland.  Most of our clubs are in dire financial condition, with very little cash reserves, and probably not credit worthy.  Even these small business loans with their year free and minimal interest payments are going to be hard to repay.   Id suggest that our clubs will need to be back as soon as possible.  They may need to think of inventive ways to raise revenues, but they will likely look at what happens down south and apply a strategy accordingly.  

Of course, the SPFL and their restructuring plan might curtail plans for a while, unless a crudely formulated plan is pushed through quickly.

I think you misunderstood my post, Vinnie. The EPL (and the Bundesliga) are keen to restart because there are big $ involved. If the EPL is played behind closed doors, SKY and BT Sport will be happy, because their customers will be happy. The clubs make more from TV than from gate receipts. (Bournemouth's gate money = 4% of income.) If the Premiership is called, TV will either demand a partial refund or a discount when the contracts are renewed. In Scotland, the bulk of our clubs' income comes from fans. It simply wouldn't be worthwhile to play behind closed doors.

Bundesliga restarts next weekend. Behind closed doors. Players and accommodating staff to be tested prior to match. Approximately 300 people will be within a stadium. 

Korean league starts up this weekend.  Talking to a team-mate too closely will be a bookable offence.  As will excessive spitting.  

Spitting should be a bookable offence anyway tbh. 

On 04/05/2020 at 15:08, Vinnie said:

Are you suggesting that the Tories havent followed the advice of their experts?  Im not a big Tory supporter, but blame for this cant be placed at their door only.  Boris is not a Medical Professional, and early doors, the information was not particularly reliable?  Could they have imposed stricter lockdown measures sooner?  Probably.  But then the anti-Tories would accuse them of being fascists, or treating folk like children.  Could we have followed the lead of Italy or Spain quicker?  Possibly.  But the public hasnt seen all of the data available to Chief Medical Staff or Government officials. 

Im not suggesting Sturgeon has handled this crisis badly, not at all, though I do think shes doing some political posturing for the Scottish public, and playing up to the camera a little.  Despite what she says, I imagine she's relying on the UK Government for alot of the data her staff receive, and I imagine she will need the financial support of the UK Government if she chooses to imposes longer term lockdown restrictions, particularly to cover the costs of furloughed staff, or those that are self-employed if their businesses are to remain shut.  

But thats all off topic.  The EFL are suggesting their seasons may restart without fans.  I dont rate the SPFL or SFA to act of their own thinking, I think they might follow the lead of English clubs.  

The Tory government have blood on their hands with their inept and arrogant initial handling of this situation. It's brutal but a fact that people died unnecessarily. 

Sturgeon is showing leadership. I believe she's looking after the Scottish people first and foremost and I'm not an SNP supporter. 

No idea why we have to delve into politics on this subject about getting back into a game of football. 

11 hours ago, Piracy said:

The Tory government have blood on their hands with their inept and arrogant initial handling of this situation. It's brutal but a fact that people died unnecessarily. 

Sturgeon is showing leadership. I believe she's looking after the Scottish people first and foremost and I'm not an SNP supporter. 

No idea why we have to delve into politics on this subject about getting back into a game of football. 

I regularly watch the news on RAI (Italian equivalent of the BBC.) It's been reported that Italian medics and scientists have emailed lots of information and advice about Covid-19 to Westminster, in the hope that the British Government wouldn't repeat some of the mistakes Italy has made.

Their emails haven't even been acknowledged. Draw your own conclusions. 

17 hours ago, Piracy said:

Agreed on all counts, and I'm also no fan of the SNP or Sturgeon. The Tories should (but likely won't) be hung out to dry when this is over. And I fear their new Be Alert "strategy" is going to lead to a significant upswing in cases very soon. Maybe then the bulk of the public will realise what a mess they're making of this.

I think that politics and getting back to football do go together.  We are reliant on the advice of government as they outline a return to normality.  Ultimately, Sturgeon will have a say on the lifting of lockdown restrictions in Scotland, and when football fans will be able to attend matches again. 

For what its worth, I have a feeling that folk failed to listen to Johnson.  Ok, folk watched and heard him, but many decided "its Johnson, hes an ar**, twat, *****, ****" or whatever expletive you choose to use, so they didnt actually listen.  We have been crying out for some sort of lockdown exit strategy, and hes set out a rough guide to how that will work, and it is only guidance based on key indicators about the slowing, or god forbid an increase, in the spread of the virus.  As for Scotland, as Sturgeon keeps pointing out, Scotland is at a different stage of the COVID curve, about two weeks behind, so its sensible that we remain in lockdown, although she did relax restrictions up here earlier in the day - and I daresay that some will have misinterpreted them too.  

I agree that the "Stay Alert" message isnt great, but I kind of get it - of course, it relies on folk using a degree of common sense, which is in short supply for some. 

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I think that politics and getting back to football do go together.  We are reliant on the advice of government as they outline a return to normality.  Ultimately, Sturgeon will have a say on the lifting of lockdown restrictions in Scotland, and when football fans will be able to attend matches again. 

For what its worth, I have a feeling that folk failed to listen to Johnson.  Ok, folk watched and heard him, but many decided "its Johnson, hes an ar**, twat, *****, ****" or whatever expletive you choose to use, so they didnt actually listen.  We have been crying out for some sort of lockdown exit strategy, and hes set out a rough guide to how that will work, and it is only guidance based on key indicators about the slowing, or god forbid an increase, in the spread of the virus.  As for Scotland, as Sturgeon keeps pointing out, Scotland is at a different stage of the COVID curve, about two weeks behind, so its sensible that we remain in lockdown, although she did relax restrictions up here earlier in the day - and I daresay that some will have misinterpreted them too.  

I agree that the "Stay Alert" message isnt great, but I kind of get it - of course, it relies on folk using a degree of common sense, which is in short supply for some. 

Boris Johnston did not take heed of other countries experiences to this Covid-19 situation. He dithered and f*cked about because preserving the economy was more important than preserving life.

That's the problem with Conservatives and their dismissive societal ethos, allied with their inherent obsession with money. People are expendable. 

We've got the second highest death rate in the world with over 31,000 acknowledged deaths attributed to Covid-19 and the real/true figure likely to be over 50,000 deaths. 

He was too late in acting decisively in locking down society. He kept allowing flights to come in to UK with no restrictions: over 100,000 people a week if estimates are to be believed. 

Missed around 5 Cobra meetings early doors. 

An exit strategy should substantially more detailed than his "blither-blabber-stammer-stay alert" .. (and repeat) message last night.

As for folk using common sense I think that's exactly what the vast majority have been doing. There's been heroic and heart warming tales of people rising to the challenges presented. There has been absolute tradegies like the deaths of 200 NHS staff carrying out their day to day duties.

There will be a namby-pamby enquiry no doubt and Boris and subordinates will not be held to account. Disgusting. 

Sorry for the rant but it's sickening what's been going on. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2