Sign in to follow this  
GG Riva

The most brutal game in history

The BBC have nominated the FA Cup Final replay between Chelsea and Leeds United in 1970, as the dirtiest - let's call a spade a spade - game in English history.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52416192

I watched the game in full, live on the BBC and don't remember thinking it was the worst I'd ever seen, but there were certainly plenty of beefy "tackles" throughout. I wanted Chelsea to win because they had the likes of the classy striker, Peter Osgood, in their side and Leeds were generally regarded as mean and cynical. Looking back, Chelsea had their share of hard, "physical" players, too.

Which game would you nominate as the dirtiest you've ever seen, either live or on TV?

A great quote in the article from Hugh Mcilvanney’s match report:

“At times, it appeared that Mr Jennings would give a free-kick only on production of a death certificate.“

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

Which game would you nominate as the dirtiest you've ever seen, either live or on TV?

When Leicester and Spurs were vying for the title a few years back, Spurs kicked Chelsea off the pitch in a late season game (possibly the one which actually clinched the league for Leicester, I'm not sure*). That was pretty vicious stuff (although probably not in the same league as the Leeds game in the OP) and probably the worst one I can think of.

Although some games when Rangers had Terry Hurlock probably ran it close now I think of it.

* EDIT - it was, here's an analysis of the Battle of the Bridge

21 minutes ago, Teuchter said:

A great quote in the article from Hugh Mcilvanney’s match report:

“At times, it appeared that Mr Jennings would give a free-kick only on production of a death certificate.“

Yea, that produced a wry smile from me when I read it. Quite revealing that one of the better EPL refs, Michael Oliver, watched it in full and reckoned he'd have issued 11 (eleven) red cards. Whichever way you slice that, he'd have been forced to abandon the game since no team may continue with less than 7 players. Of course, if the original ref had sent off a few players early on, the rest might not have breenged into tackles quite so enthusiastically. 

2 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

Michael Oliver, watched it in full and reckoned he'd have issued 11 (eleven) red cards. 

Mike Dean: "Hold my beer..."

Shows how soft todays players are. 

Pele would have played against hardmen like these, as would guys like Eusebio, or Best, or even Cryuff.  Imagine how good those guys would be now with the protection of referees.

• Downvote 1

I do remember Celtic playing Athletico Madrid and Jinky Johnstone being absolutely booted all over the park. Scotland v Uruguay? in the World Cup I think even Ernie Walker calling them animals. Finally Pars v Forfar at home in the play offs utterly bizarre game.

Scotland vs Uruguay @Superally? In 1986 at the World Cup? Apart from the sending off in about 50secs, it was more niggly than dirty?  Whenever Ive seen Uruguay, they tend to be anti-football despite the fact they have players capable of more if they actually just played football.  

There was an Old Firm game in the early 90s with 4 sending offs. That was pretty dirty.  

Can't remember exactly when it was but the Barcelona v Athletico game when it turned into a full scale riot has to be up there. As would the Celtic v Athletico Bilbao(?) when they literally kicked Jimmy Johnstone off the pitch. 

14 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Shows how soft todays players are. 

Pele would have played against hardmen like these, as would guys like Eusebio, or Best, or even Cryuff.  Imagine how good those guys would be now with the protection of referees.

Always cracks me up reading utter drivel like this. The exact opposite would happen. Defenders now are fitter, faster and much stronger. The players mentioned above would barely get a touch of the ball in the modern game. 

Edited by Keyser Soze
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

Always cracks me up reading utter drivel like this. The exact opposite would happen. Defenders now are fitter, faster and much stronger now. The players mentioned above would barely get a touch of the ball in the modern game. 

Equal drivel? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

The constant downvoting of posts feels like bullying @Keyser Soze.😖😖

I react to the post, not the poster. Improve the quality of your posting. 

6 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

Always cracks me up reading utter drivel like this. The exact opposite would happen. Defenders now are fitter, faster and much stronger now. The players mentioned above would barely get a touch of the ball in the modern game. 

This assumes that none of the aforementioned players would have benefited from the advances in training and sports science that have helped make defenders (and all players) fitter and faster.

20 minutes ago, Teuchter said:

This assumes that none of the aforementioned players would have benefited from the advances in training and sports science that have helped make defenders (and all players) fitter and faster.

Well, duh. Kinda the point.