Sign in to follow this  
SanguinePar

SPFL: Clubs to vote on calling a halt to season in lower leagues

Guest The Beer Baron
3 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

😔

💟

Looks like theyve voted to cancel Prem, League One and League Two.  Awaiting One vote for a decision on Championship - which I guess is Partick trying to avoid relegation.  

Im guessing there will be some cash inducements for clubs to have agreed so quickly?

10 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Looks like theyve voted to cancel Prem, League One and League Two.  Awaiting One vote for a decision on Championship - which I guess is Partick trying to avoid relegation.  

Im guessing there will be some cash inducements for clubs to have agreed so quickly?

Partick would clearly vote against the proposal. 

13 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

Partick would clearly vote against the proposal. 

Of course.  Its a no brainer.

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Of course.  Its a no brainer.

A lot of people seem to think it's ICT, holding out for a 14 team league... what's that? They just announced exactly that? How convenient.

Scottish Premiership set for increase to 14-team league next season

EDIT - sorry not announced, but you have to assume this was leaked to float the idea (or maybe dangle the carrot is a more apt metaphor)

14 seems a strange number for a top league? Not enough to play each other twice and retain the same incomes, too many to play four times?

Unless there is still a split, but after two rounds of matches, with 6 games home and away after the split? 

12 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

14 seems a strange number for a top league? 

Oddly enough, it's exactly the number needed to save Hearts, promote Dundee Utd and make sure ICT vote(d) in favour. Odd that. Very odd.

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

14 seems a strange number for a top league? Not enough to play each other twice and retain the same incomes, too many to play four times?

Unless there is still a split, but after two rounds of matches, with 6 games home and away after the split? 

I think they'll play home and away and then split into A top 6 and bottom 8 (or vice versa) That would give the 6, 36 games and the 8, 40 games. This will probably be sold as a one off but if it works well, the clubs may decide to stick with it. If it helps us get into the Premiership, I'm unashamedly all for it. ☺

16 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

If it helps us get into the Premiership, I'm unashamedly all for it. ☺

Can't agree with that one, I'm afraid. Self interest is at the heart of the decline of Scottish football over the last 20-30 years, and I would hope we would be above that. 

(Hope, but probably not actually anticipate)

54 minutes ago, SanguinePar said:

Self interest is at the heart of the decline of Scottish football over the last 20-30 years, and I would hope we would be above that. 

I absolutely agree. 

It all started with the forming of the SPL, creating a wealth divide, then a greed, then wreckless spending, and look at whats happened to Rangers, Hearts, Dundee, ourselves, a few others.  

2 hours ago, SanguinePar said:

Oddly enough, it's exactly the number needed to save Hearts, promote Dundee Utd and make sure ICT vote(d) in favour.

I guess that also ensures that Partick stay up?  They were threatening legal action too, does it help to appease them? 

7 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I absolutely agree. 

It all started with the forming of the SPL, creating a wealth divide, then a greed, then wreckless spending, and look at whats happened to Rangers, Hearts, Dundee, ourselves, a few others.  

I guess that also ensures that Partick stay up?  They were threatening legal action too, does it help to appease them? 

I don't want to see the Pars in the Premiership out of greed though, I just want to see us playing at a higher standard, with better players, crowds, atmosphere etc.

Am I off the hook now?☺

Eta. The Pars were one of the clubs who voted for a "superleague" of 10 clubs, playing each other 4 times, in the early 70s, presumably believing they would make the cut. Sadly, their optimism was misplaced and there followed some 14 seasons of scraping around in the lower leagues, with crowds often well below 2,000 and regular gubbings from the likes of Berwick, Forfar and Montrose....

Edited by GG Riva

I dont believe crowds are much better in the SPL (Ross County dont have a better attendance than Pars, Id have to check but I recall reading Livi, Hamilton and St Mirrens are on par with ours), and atmospheres are only improved by the product on show - Hamiltons playing squad isnt much improved on ours, St Mirren, and Ross County squads dont scream of excitement.  I dont believe there is much of an improvement in standard by stepping up a league.  Most of the clubs in the Championship could hold their own against the SPL clubs.  

I would rather see that the league is restructured to a 20 team top league.  I think there is a boredom watching he same nine clubs four times a year.  I think you change the overall product to increase interest levels.

It wont happen... look at the self preservation of whats happened in the last few days.  SPL is never more appropriate - Self Preservation League.

This whole thing is a shambles and reeks of corruption. Every club in the apfl is voting based in self preservation or self interestso we cant just slag the premiership clubs. 

A 20 team league would he ****e. Too many meaningless games in the middle of the table. Crowds would drop for too many clubs with nothing to play for. And in scotland we rely heavily on fans attending games as out tv deal is ****.

Edited by Fifes Elite