Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GG Riva

Football Mindset Coaching

Recommended Posts

I got round to watching last Friday's ''A View from the Terrace'' last night and was intrigued by the piece featuring John Johnstone, who describes himself as a football mindset coach. Out of curiosity, I Googled him this morning and found this:-

http://footballmindset.co.uk/author/johnfootballmindset-co-uk/

Who would have thought that the trail would lead to John 'Yogi' Hughes?

Teaching kids about the importance of having a growth (positive) mindset is currently a hot topic in primary schools as it's crucial in almost every walk of life, maybe even more so in football, where players are in the public eye and every aspect of their job is open to scrutiny and criticism, especially in social media.

I wonder how many top clubs have their own sports psychologist or a more specific football mindset coach?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've actually used his stuff for a few years with my son. He suffered badly with his confidence after his experience of Pro-Youth and I came across this guy and downloaded his ebook. I gave it to my son and encouraged him to use it. 

Within a month he was playing his best football again, and the follwing season was probably one of his best. 

Kids already get taught this stuff in schools nowadays as you'll know, so it wasn't a stretch for him to adapt it into his game/routine. It 100% DOES work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/11/2019 at 10:52, Digs said:

I've actually used his stuff for a few years with my son. He suffered badly with his confidence after his experience of Pro-Youth and I came across this guy and downloaded his ebook. I gave it to my son and encouraged him to use it. 

Within a month he was playing his best football again, and the follwing season was probably one of his best. 

Kids already get taught this stuff in schools nowadays as you'll know, so it wasn't a stretch for him to adapt it into his game/routine. It 100% DOES work.

Does he play in a club set up or is this just to get the best out of the level at which he is playing?

No idea how many sons you have, hence the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last Friday's "A View from the Terrace" contains a very frank interview with Chris Cadden, the former Motherwell and Scotland midfielder, highlighting the issues he has battled. I think it's still available on BBC iPlayer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Teuchter said:

Does he play in a club set up or is this just to get the best out of the level at which he is playing?

No idea how many sons you have, hence the question.

He played Youth Football u16/17 at the time, he's u20 East of Scotland League now but it's applicable to any level. It's really simple, all about considering your own performance and what that might look like and what success would look like. Also visualising what success in specific situations relative to his positon  might look like and how he would approach those thinking about those further before and during the game. This would be something like how would he defend in a one on one situation against a tricky winger as a full back. What might he do? How would you combat that? What could he do to pre-empt that? If he managed to win the one on one, how would he do it? It realy just forces you to think about the things you can already do to have the confidence to implement them in a game situation.

It helps with concentration, removal of doubt and makes certain situations less daunting. I've obviously simplified that hugely but that's the basic premise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@DigsI think it is impressive that he has done this largely off his own back - apparently after some sort of set back, as you have implied. Good that it seems to be paying dividends. I would imagine some of the benefits will spill over to life off the park. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25 November 2019 at 08:13, GG Riva said:

would have thought that the trail would lead to John 'Yogi' Hughes?

 

I recall an interview with him as Falkirk manager when he was enthusing about the facilities that were available to the players and the access that they had to specialist advice concerning fitness and diets. He struck me as the type of player who worked at his game and made not a bad career for himself. As a manager, opportunities for players to pursue self improvement seemed to be something he had a genuine enthusiasm for. I can't remember the full list of things he talked about, but what struck me was his open mind to new ideas.

This goes against his reputation as some sort of dinasour, partially gained, unfairly I think, from the way that he expresses himself.

There may of course be some folk with inside knowledge who can put me right on my view of Yogi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/11/2019 at 18:25, Teuchter said:

@DigsI think it is impressive that he has done this largely off his own back - apparently after some sort of set back, as you have implied. Good that it seems to be paying dividends. I would imagine some of the benefits will spill over to life off the park. 

It absolutely does and helped him with his exams and how he approached the study, and he is now at University doing what he wanted to do. I will say though, part of that is also down  to the fact he played Pro-youth for a couple of years as the one good thing he took away from it was how he looks after himself, prepares properly and approaches things in a certain way, he does it with everything. I wish I;d had his mindset at his age, I;d certainly have done better with my football and schooling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×