Sign in to follow this  
GG Riva

Ronaldo Spits Out the Dummy

CR7 seems to be engineering his exit from Juventus.

He didn't take too kindly to being subbed for the second consecutive game at the week-end, even though he'd hardly kicked a ball v Milan, during the 55 mins he was on the field. In contrast, his replacement, Paolo Dybala, scored the games only goal.

No player should be happy to be subbed unless he's injured, but Ronaldo took his annoyance to another level. Rather than sit on the bench, he walked right out of the stadium. Not only was that disrespectful to the fans, his team mates and manager, it was a very risky thing to do. Had he been one of the two players in each team normally chosen for a random drugs test after the game, he could have earned himself a 2 year ban. Luckily for him, he wasn't.

What a shame that such a fantastic footballer can't conduct himself with more humility and dignity. I think that's a major reason why many football fans around the world prefer Messi over him.

1 hour ago, GG Riva said:

CR7 seems to be engineering his exit from Juventus.

Nonsense!! You get that from him being upset with being substituted?  

Im no CR7, but when I play football I want to play the full game.  And if I dont, I get ****ed off about it.  Nothing to see here.  The guy is allowed a bad game.  If I knew in my head that Id played badly, Id be ****ed off at myself, and by his own standards, hes probably embarrassed too. 

You seem to have ignored that he left the stadium while the game was still in progress. His team mates are pretty p!$$3d off at his Billy Bigbaws attitude. Being a contender for the GOAT accolade carries certain responsibilities with it.

20 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

You seem to have ignored that he left the stadium while the game was still in progress. His team mates are pretty p!$$3d off at his Billy Bigbaws attitude. Being a contender for the GOAT accolade carries certain responsibilities with it.

I read that, but I havent seen any real evidence of that

16 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I read that, but I havent seen any real evidence of that

Also, this is the second game in a row he has gone off in a huff. Having said that, I think the truth is somewhere in  the middle. 

I think he was probably raging at being subbed, again, but he also holds such high  standards for himself that he was likely annoyed at his own performance. He is often lambasted as arrogant, but he's not. Well, not in the way most  people would be. He's actually quite down to earth, but his own high standards that he demands of himself and his team mates and his unerring desire to perform and win often come across as arrogance. It isn't, it's the single-mindedness that got him where he is, as one of the greatest of all time, and is what will always drive him. You don't get to be someone like him if you don't have that. 

I think in  the main, no-one is bigger than the club is true, however for a very, select few individuals,  probably just him and Messi at the moment, that isn't necessaruly the case. They have earned the right to be this way IMO, after the careers they have had delivering season after season,  breaking records left right and centre. When you reach a certain level, it is no longer arrogance to have that beleif in yourself, it's just a statement of fact. 

Labelling someone like him  as a 'Billy Big-Baws' is daft because he doesn't have ideas above his station which is what this saying means, he just knows exactly how good he is and personally, I don;t have a problem with a player who has done what he has, being a bit 'arrogant' about it. They've earned that right.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Digs said:

I think the truth is somewhere in  the middle. 

I think he was probably raging at being subbed, again, but he also holds such high standards for himself that he was likely annoyed at his own performance.

His own high standards that he demands of himself and it's the single-mindedness that got him where he is.

Labelling someone like him  as a 'Billy Big-Baws' is daft.

Yep.  Agree with most of those points Digs.  Although labelling him Billy Big-Baws isnt just daft, it sound a bit jealous. 

You all come out with these theories about why he stalked off, but you all missed the obvious. He has the hump because he realises that at the age of 34 his time in top class football is coming to an end and he has still never played at East End Park for The Pars.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Digs said:

Also, this is the second game in a row he has gone off in a huff. Having said that, I think the truth is somewhere in  the middle. 

I think he was probably raging at being subbed, again, but he also holds such high  standards for himself that he was likely annoyed at his own performance. He is often lambasted as arrogant, but he's not. Well, not in the way most  people would be. He's actually quite down to earth, but his own high standards that he demands of himself and his team mates and his unerring desire to perform and win often come across as arrogance. It isn't, it's the single-mindedness that got him where he is, as one of the greatest of all time, and is what will always drive him. You don't get to be someone like him if you don't have that. 

I think in  the main, no-one is bigger than the club is true, however for a very, select few individuals,  probably just him and Messi at the moment, that isn't necessaruly the case. They have earned the right to be this way IMO, after the careers they have had delivering season after season,  breaking records left right and centre. When you reach a certain level, it is no longer arrogance to have that beleif in yourself, it's just a statement of fact. 

Labelling someone like him  as a 'Billy Big-Baws' is daft because he doesn't have ideas above his station which is what this saying means, he just knows exactly how good he is and personally, I don;t have a problem with a player who has done what he has, being a bit 'arrogant' about it. They've earned that right.

No one can dispute that Ronaldo is one of the GOAT. Furthermore, he has looked after himself and trained well and is still playing at the highest level, at an age when many pros have already retired. Quite why he reacted the way he did to being subbed at the weekend, only he will know. We can only speculate, but one thing is certain, it was disrespectful to his club, its fans, his manager and his team mates.

I was not aware that a Billy Bigbaws attitude can only be applied to someone who has ideas above their station, Digs. I meant that he came across as decidedly arrogant, by storming out of the stadium instead of taking a seat in the dugout like any other footballer would. I can't agree that his status in the game can be used to excuse his bizarre behaviour. Juventus paid a lot of money for his transfer and are paying him plenty, too. They deserve a bit more respect.

There are only two ways this can go; either Ronaldo apologises and it's accepted or he is fined and put up for sale.

11 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I think its a storm in a tea cup.  Tomorrows chippy wrappings.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, Vinnie, but I think his behaviour has done some serious damage to dressing room harmony. Of course, you don't have to like a team mate to play alongside him, but it helps. Some may already have been jealous of Ronaldo's talent and salary and this episode won't have helped. They have demanded a formal apology before he is reintegrated into the squad. Just as well  there's an international break now.

Many Juve fans were similarly unimpressed with his petulance and he has lost much of the respect and admiration he's had from them, ever since he scored a wonder goal for Real in the CL at the Juventus stadium.

His relationship with his manager will have taken a dent too, although Sarri has played things down, saying it's his team mates Ronaldo needs to rebuild bridges with. 

No player should feel he's bigger than his club and Juve are a club who have never entertained this concept before, unlike Napoli with Maradona and Man U with George Best, but then, they've never had a player as good as CR7 before, Zidane and Platini included.

It'll be interesting to see how things develop.