Sign in to follow this  
Superally

Pars v The Wasps

So this Saturday we head to our "derby" fixture at Recreation Park Alloa, They are a team that somehow defies their part time status and yet always have managed to pull out the important results against us. Alloa have managed a single win and three draws over their last six games with a haul of 6 points sitting in the playoff spot 9th with 10 pts. The Pars have struck a good vein of form in recent weeks where we have taken a decent haul of 11pts from our last six games including 3 wins losing only to the league leaders and sit 6th in the table with 16pts. We still have long term injuries with Lang and Murray, however with Joe Thomson there are signs that with a full 90 in the reserves this week that he is close to returning to fitness and a place in the team - albeit this game is perhaps too early. Hopefully with a team that is playing with increasing confidence and recent good form this Sat we should be heading back to EEP with 3 points. I'm down for a 2-0 Pars win. COYP

There is statistical evidence to show that the ''smaller'' clubs have a better H2H record against their derby rivals than might be expected, S'Ally. In 2003, I compared the Pars H2H record v every other Scottish club, in relation to their overall average league position. (The Pars ranked 14th, btw.) The clubs who bucked an almost uniform trend were Cowdenbeath, East Fife, Alloa and the wee team. The Blue Brazil, who were ranked 33rd, had just under a 50% success record v the Pars, whereas other teams near the foot of the rankings were only about half that. 

My feelings are that the best explanation for that is that the ''lesser'' teams are highly motivated to put one over on their local rivals when they meet, no doubt encouraged by their noisy support, who normally turn out in larger numbers for derby matches.

With that in mind, I think a draw would be a decent result for us on Saturday.

2 hours ago, GG Riva said:

My feelings are that the best explanation for that is that the ''lesser'' teams are highly motivated to put one over on their local rivals when they meet, no doubt encouraged by their noisy support, who normally turn out in larger numbers for derby matches.

That makes sense statistically GG, but I would argue that it's not relevant to this game since we couldn't ever be considered rivals in any way shape or form. The only reason this is a 'derby' (it's not) is because they are 12 miles along the road and it's the closest the fixture computer could come up with this season for us. I, and I suspect most Pars fans, are completely ambivalent towards them. 

A draw isn't a good result for us in  this game either IMO. They aren't playing well, and are not the team they were under Goodwin, and with the way we've been playing we should have more than enough in the locker to win this  game comfortably.

An interesting side note too is that their u20's are run by a Pars fan and former Youth coach, and have several pars fans in that team. 

1 hour ago, Digs said:

That makes sense statistically GG, but I would argue that it's not relevant to this game since we couldn't ever be considered rivals in any way shape or form. The only reason this is a 'derby' (it's not) is because they are 12 miles along the road and it's the closest the fixture computer could come up with this season for us. I, and I suspect most Pars fans, are completely ambivalent towards them. 

A draw isn't a good result for us in  this game either IMO. They aren't playing well, and are not the team they were under Goodwin, and with the way we've been playing we should have more than enough in the locker to win this  game comfortably.

An interesting side note too is that their u20's are run by a Pars fan and former Youth coach, and have several pars fans in that team. 

We might not consider this game a derby, but Alloa and their fans probably do, precisely because we're the closest "big" team to the town. I know the likes of Stirling, Larbert and Grangemouth are all within derby distance but Alloa could probably beat all the teams from these towns easily enough.

I did say a draw would be "decent" because we're away from home and on a plastic pitch. A win would definitely be upgraded to a "good" result, in my book. ☺

49 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

We might not consider this game a derby, but Alloa and their fans probably do, precisely because we're the closest "big" team to the town. I know the likes of Stirling, Larbert and Grangemouth are all within derby distance but Alloa could probably beat all the teams from these towns easily enough.

I did say a draw would be "decent" because we're away from home and on a plastic pitch. A win would definitely be upgraded to a "good" result, in my book. ☺

I really don't think they do, except for maybe the 10 or 15 young lads behind the goal. There's not derby atmosphere or dislike to speak of whatsoever, so that's not going to have the affect on  the players like it would normally. 

With the pitch now being widened back to it's proper size, we should have more than enough to cope. I'm fairly realistic about where we are at the moment and who we are but even I think we should be winning this game, especially based on current form. 

These posts are now no doubt going to come back and bite me on the ar**...

"These posts are now no doubt going to come back and bite me on the ar**."

I sincerely hope not. 😊

4 hours ago, Digs said:

The only reason this is a 'derby' (it's not) is because they are 12 miles along the road and it's the closest the fixture computer could come up with this season for us. I, and I suspect most Pars fans, are completely ambivalent towards them. 

Correct and correct.  

If we harbour ambitions of reaching the promotion play offs, this is another game we should be looking to take 3 points from. We're in good form, scoring goals and defending better.

Alloa are utter dung right now, if the management and players approach this in the same manner as the past few weeks, it'll take a big effort to take points off us.

• Upvote 2

should be winning this game and like last week we should be looking to take the game to them from the start, move the ball quickly and dont give Alloa time to get a settled defensive shape.

Edited by the saline hill puma

I was giving it a miss, however. **** it, I'm heading through in an hour to the Royal Oak for Ale then the match. 

On 07/11/2019 at 16:28, The Beer Baron said:

If we harbour ambitions of reaching the promotion play offs, this is another game we should be looking to take 3 points from. We're in good form, scoring goals and defending better.

Alloa are utter dung right now, if the management and players approach this in the same manner as the past few weeks, it'll take a big effort to take points off us.

I agree this is a winnable game, but not that Alloa are "utter dung". They have done really well against us in recent meetings and if we go in with a Billy Bigbaws attitude we will lose. Pretty sure SC won't allow that though. He says as much in his Thursday interview on COWS.

Team news

Scully

Comrie Ashcroft Martin Edwards

Dow Paton Turner Kiltie

Ryan Nisbet

Joe Thomson returns to the bench :)COYP