Sign in to follow this  
GG Riva

VAR - A Disaster so Far ☹

Sunday's Everton v Spurs match encapsulated all that's wrong with VAR and I'm one of those who wanted to see it introduced. It may be scant consolation for English fans but VAR has caused plenty of controversy in every country in which it's being used. 

They need to cut down the time to arrive at a decision and the match ref should get his @rse over to the pitch side monitor and make the final call.

I don't blame the refs for this. If they are going to use it, the pitch  side monitor should be first port of call and if he's still not sure then it should go to Stockley Park, which I'd argue would hardly ever happen. The refs need to control the game as they are being hung out to dry here IMO.

I maintain my view that if VAR is to be used, clear and obvious errors should not required multiple views slowed down from five, six, seven angles.  I also think that the ref on the pitch should make the final decision by viewing a replay himself.  Set a limit, 3 camera angles, replayed once each at full speed, and if your decision is wrong, change it.   Quick and easy. 

Incidently, not sure why Son was red carded yesterday.  It was shoulder to shoulder, Andre Gomes simply fell awkwardly into Aurier.  A yellow card at worst, and Id debate even that.  VAR should have picked that up and reversed the decision.  

I think it deserved a chance, but I dont think anybody can agree on a standard set of rules for its application.  At the minute it is ruining the game. 

There's nowt wrong with the technology itself, but the implementation so far has been guff. Those responsible for its delivery should ask people involved in the game; managers, players, players, fans and even pundits and referees to put forward their proposals as to how the use of VAR could be improved.

18 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

There's nowt wrong with the technology itself, but the implementation so far has been guff. Those responsible for its delivery should ask people involved in the game; managers, players, players, fans and even pundits and referees to put forward their proposals as to how the use of VAR could be improved.

The technology is fine, but there is too much ambiguity with wording surrounding its application.  "Clear And Obvious" should not require a three minute stoppage.  Angle one takes five seconds to watch at full speed, angle two takes five seconds at full speed, angle three at full speed is five seconds.  No slow motion replays, no viewing from every conceivable angle.  Clear And Obvious does not mean lets view it until we convince ourselves there was devils work at play.  

• Upvote 2

On 05/11/2019 at 16:26, Vinnie said:

The technology is fine, but there is too much ambiguity with wording surrounding its application.  "Clear And Obvious" should not require a three minute stoppage.  Angle one takes five seconds to watch at full speed, angle two takes five seconds at full speed, angle three at full speed is five seconds.  No slow motion replays, no viewing from every conceivable angle.  Clear And Obvious does not mean lets view it until we convince ourselves there was devils work at play.  

And there's the rub - ambiguous words and phrases mean different things to different people. VAR can never equate to Goal Line Technology, because it's not black and white. See when an incident is played over and over again in the studio and the panellists can't agree amongst each other.

Refs need to get back to refereeing games and use the monitors if necessary. VAR should not overturn decisions but ask the ref to go and watch it again if it is believed he's made an obvious mistake.

16 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

VAR should not overturn decisions but ask the ref to go and watch it again if it is believed he's made an obvious mistake.

Obvious is the key word.  It shouldnt need twenty replays.  Keep it simple.  Three angles at full speed - if its not clear, get the game going again. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Beer Baron said:

**** VAR, if it can't eradicate mistakes then keep them in and let the game flow.

I don't think those who run the game are remotely interested in what the fans think of VAR. A lot of money has been invested in it. It creates even more controversy. The TV companies who shell out the big bucks love it.

It's here to stay.

23 minutes ago, GG Riva said:

A lot of money has been invested in it. 

It's here to stay.

The investment in the technology isnt huge.  TV companies already cover games from every angle.  The TV companies pic up that tab.

Itll be here to stay because some fcukwit at FIFA who has never kicked a ball wont recognise that hes wrong.  The various national FAs just have to get on board.  

Fans need to stand up and boycott games, that's the only way to do this outside of canceling subscriptions which many won't do out of self convenience

19 minutes ago, The Beer Baron said:

Fans need to stand up and boycott games, 

Not a hope in hell.  Especially if you have a season ticket that cost £750.  You arent giving that up unless its absolutely necessary.  Boycott away games, maybe, but the home fans wont, so not much of a protest. 

Football fans are their own worst enemies.  Too many think that they need to prove they are their clubs biggest fans by demonstrating stupid levels of loyalty. 

No sign of the controversy abating any time soon.

This weekend we had a Sheffield United goal ruled out (after VAR agonised for 3 min 42 secs) for offside against a blade of grass on Lundstram's boot in the build up and even worse, in arguably the most important match of the season so far, Man City are denied a stonewall penalty under the new rules, only for Liverpool to run up to the other end and score the crucial opening goal......

VAR is achieving the polar opposite effect of what it was brought in to do. Yesterday, it may just have erroneously assigned the EPL title.