Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GG Riva

Racism in Football

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Slightly off topic - but highlights the issues in Italy.   And fair play to the Inter player looking to address the issue.

I had just read that a few minutes ago. Clearly there is stuff going on in Italy that I don’t fully appreciate, but victimising kids like that is an out and out cnuts trick.

As you say, fair play to the player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Teuchter said:

Clearly there is stuff going on in Italy that I don’t fully appreciate, but victimising kids like that is an out and out cnuts trick.

Maybe @GG Rivacan enlighten us as the EastEndBounce correspondent of all things Italian? 

I maybe simplify my view on this a little much, but the way I see it, Italians love their football, theyve idolised foreigner footballers for as long as I can remember, surely they know enough, as a civilised country, that foreigners arent evil spawn.  I struggle to comprehend such an attitude, particularly towards kids.  All this does is breeds seperatism. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While there is no doubt that racism  explains in part the rise of the far right in Italy, this story is actually increasingly typical, where slants are added to the story without full facts being reported and then simply regurgitated by the media. It happens with right wing slanted stories too obviously.

The mayor’s take on this was that of cash shortage and an increasing amount of parents being unable to pay the canteen. Firstly, I will say it again, it is despicable to use children like this.

There were however 30 families who couldn’t pay. Were they all refugees? That is not clear, it merely says that some of the families were refugees also. The majority may have been kids of families long established there. It is impossible to stick a motive of racism on this without the full facts. I have said it before, has nothing been learned from Trump or Brexit. I don’t really care about the 5 Star mayor twat, but there is a whole community now getting slurred as being racist.

They may well be of course, but there is not enough information in the story to make that assertion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the crazy thing is that both teams had black players... surely the black players at the home team should walk off in solidarity with their opponents? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

And the crazy thing is that both teams had black players... surely the black players at the home team should walk off in solidarity with their opponents? 

Why just the black players from the home team? 

They all should regardless of race 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think racism/dislike of foreigners/dislike of people who are different in some way are just different faces of the same mind-set.  Sometimes it is more ascendant and some times more condemned/socially unacceptable.

For much of my life, I assumed (wrongly) that it would just get better over time, as people became better educated. I have to say that I have changed my mind in the last five years -- partly as a result of people feeling marginalised (and thus in fear) , partly due to some irresponsible media attitudes, partly due to the rise (again) of some populist rabble-rousers around the World.

The vast majority of folk know that these attitudes are just bollocks and need to be confronted; but most of us are just busy or tired or don't want to fall out with a friend or family member, and thus let things slide. This is when it becomes insidious. Simply on things like racism we've got to stand up and be counted, and support those who do. All it takes for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing. I am very pleased that the football club board have taken strong positions on this type of issue, and they need supporting in this matter, or on opposing homophobia, or similar prejudice.  

Back over a hundred years ago, Punch Magazine published a cartoon of some kids who were saying to each other:  "There goes a foreigner. Let's chuck half a brick at him". That's still with us and needs to be confronted. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

And the crazy thing is that both teams had black players... surely the black players at the home team should walk off in solidarity with their opponents? 

The player being abused went over to the stand to confront the abuse. If you look at the photo in the article he is accompanied by a home team player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw that, but remonstrating with fans isnt, in my view, much of a stance.  I dont know what the answer is - walking off, refusing to play, removing the shirt and throwing it away all kind of play into the hands of haters and potentially damage your future at the club.

 

@the saline hill puma, I agree, it should be all the team, though I get why my comment was completely unclear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I saw that, but remonstrating with fans isnt, in my view, much of a stance.  I dont know what the answer is - walking off, refusing to play, removing the shirt and throwing it away all kind of play into the hands of haters and potentially damage your future at the club.

 

@the saline hill puma, I agree, it should be all the team, though I get why my comment was completely unclear.

I just watched the full video. The game stopped for about 5 minutes. The part where he remonstrated with the fans happened behind the goal just before the restart ( a corner). The player had walked off towards the dugout and seemed to be getting plenty of solidarity from all the players on the pitch who walked over to join him. The ref also took no action and handled the situation well as far as I could see.

The fact that the racism is getting acknowledged at the time is a massive leap forward in my opinion, and will hopefully help cut this out in grounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Roy Barry Fan Club said:

For much of my life, I assumed (wrongly) that it would just get better over time, as people became better educated. I have to say that I have changed my mind in the last five years -- partly as a result of people feeling marginalised (and thus in fear) , partly due to some irresponsible media attitudes, partly due to the rise (again) of some populist rabble-rousers around the World

I think the internet as played a massive part too. I assumed too that racism was well on it's way to being dead and buried. Social media has meant that anyone of any point of view can easily feel validated and emboldened in their beliefs knowing that other people share them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got on at about 6 young laddies yesterday who started that shi*e about one of the Falkirk players taking it up the ar**.

Stopped them dead in their tracks. I'm sick listening to it at our games. Halfwits.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/04/2019 at 14:25, Vinnie said:

Maybe @GG Rivacan enlighten us as the EastEndBounce correspondent of all things Italian? 

I maybe simplify my view on this a little much, but the way I see it, Italians love their football, theyve idolised foreigner footballers for as long as I can remember, surely they know enough, as a civilised country, that foreigners arent evil spawn.  I struggle to comprehend such an attitude, particularly towards kids.  All this does is breeds seperatism. 

Dunno if ''enlighten'' isn't too grand a term, Vinnie, but Italians are no different from any other nation in that they contain a significant number of people who harbour racial prejudices, if not outright hatred. In Italy, this has been exacerbated by the endless stream of  economic migrants/refugees who have crossed the Med in old boats and rubber dinghies. The Italian Govt has received money from Brussels to ease the burden, but it rarely reaches those who need it, thanks to corrupt practices, but the public are fed stories to the contrary by Silvio Berlusconi's Mediaset TV channels. You then have Matteo Salvini, Italy's answer to Donald Trump, saying all the things the racists want to hear, so that they feel emboldened to vent their bile - and more - on some of these poor vulnerable people, who are fleeing famine and war-torn countries, in the hope of a better life. Sometimes these people fight back, or make demands about the dreadful accommodation they are housed in or the food and are widely reported as ungrateful wretches who should be thankful that Italy has taken them in.

You get the picture.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×