Vinnie

Emiliano Sala

The Argentine striker, involved in the missing place incident, was on his way to Cardiff to join and meet his new team mates.  On either side of the Channel, the clubs, Nantes (his old club) and Cardiff, have different ideas about playing their next games. 

Nantes have decided to postpone their next match as a mark of respect, Cardiff continue to prepare for their next match with no intention to postpone their match.  Are Cardiff wrong? 

Why would they be? If the team are happy with it, crack on. I'm sure there will be plenty marks of respect done to (pardon the unintentional pun) death.

I heard that he was missing, presumed dead. Grim news for his friends and family ,fans. I would assume that he had not made his debut  for Cardiff? Hopefully he will be respected with a minutes silence from the Cardiff board and supporters.

I read a report earlier that implied that Cardiff perhaps shouldnt play their next game, hence the question.  I think its the media trying to stir up a ****storm? 

I can understand that the Nantes players might be shocked and upset, and I can imagine that may have disrupted their preparation?  He was a team mate and friend. 

But I agree that Cardiff players would not be so upset.  He hadnt met them, they werent friends.  Im sure Cardiff will do some sort of mark of respect, clapping for a minute in the minute of his shirt number, or whatever it may be?  

I think the sad irony is that Cardiff wanted him to play for them last weekend, but Nantes dug their heels in as they wanted him to play one more game (maybe I have misinterpreted this though).

No reason for Cardiff to postpone.  He had only just become their player.  Nantes have more reason to mourn a loss.

Cardiff have lost money, nothing else, if you were to be blunt about it.

A minutes silence (or applause) is more than adequate.

Seems that Cardiff wanted him to travel by conventional routes.  It appears that he chose to travel by a more direct route, and his agent made the arrangements. There are suggestions that the agent had some connection to the pilot. 

Its now considered a recovery mission by the Coastguard.  They wouldnt have survived the cold water.  

Cardiff wont lose out.  They are insured for this kind of event.  Sala had signed for Cardiff, its Cardiffs responsibility to honour the deal agreed.  I imagine Cardiff need confirmation that Sala did indeed die in the accident before the insurance company will pay out.  I also imagine that the insurance company are looking for an exit plan surrounding the condition of the plane and the pilot being fit and/or qualified to fly.

Nantes come across as quite callous here.  Their beloved hero has just died, most likely, and they are squabbling over money.  Its just not cricket to me.

• Like 1

Cardiff signed the player, so ultimately have to pay the fee.

Questions to be faced on his fateful choice of transport.

A bit cold of Nantes to this when the guy isn't officially deceased yet though.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Paradox said:

A bit cold of Nantes to this when the guy isn't officially deceased yet though.

Very much so.  Although its a structured payment plan for the fee, so £5m is really only pocket change to an EPL club.  I dont expect that Cardiff need to pay again for a month or two, by which time we'll know if Sala is the body in the seabed images?

Nantes themselves are being chased by another French club who are to get a % amount of the transfer fee so they most likely need the money to meet this agreement. They are well within the rights to request the money.

Nantes are being chased for 20% perhaps?  £300k maybe?  Im sure they can cover that.  The club they bought Sala from possibly cant cover £300k?